The Ceilidh

Not only did I go to my first Ceilidh this weekend, but I learnt how to spell it too!

Neighbours of ours, Mark & Sandy, got married and during the evening they invited virtually the entire street to celebrate their union.  Ceilidhs work better than a disco, people smile a lot more and rather than being paranoid about busting moves on the dance floor you’re told what to do.

The final dance was called “The Finishing Off” dance.  Rather than being an official name for the last dance I think this term was used quite innocently by the MC but it got raised eyebrows from the people on my table.  We were expecting dance moves resembling people skiing, feeding the pony and shaking vinegar pots into their mouths.  The MC then said, “you don’t have to come as a couple, you can come up as a threesome”.  It was definitely going to be dance with plenty of skiing moves I thought.


It was a little tense at the Ceilidh though.  During the week I had mentioned to the neighbours that I was getting a little concerned about the amount of motorbikes on the street and the respective noise they were making.  This, coupled together with the dog noise complaint I had made the previous week, hadn’t gone down too well and we got the impression that we were being ostracized slightly.  But ultimately we didn’t mind and I think that by the end of the night things had smoothed out slightly.

"Fiddler"

"Mark"

"Marks Sister"

"Sandy & Mark"

Comments

Popular Posts