Non-Matchstick Men

So still on a Mark Page tip, Kerry and I were having a conversation about his profile pic on Facebook. Mark uses Lowry’s “Man with the Red Eyes” as his image and Kerry said, “If you didn’t know this was a Lowry you would never guess it was a Lowry”. And I suppose she’s right, especially to an art philistine like me.

Anyone of my age will know that Lowry “painted matchstick men and matchstick cats and dogs”, but was he any good?

Stood in the Lowry gallery a number of years ago I heard a woman say to her friend, “I don’t know what all the fuss is about, I could have done that, in fact I was doing that at school”, and then she cackled an annoying giggle and suggested to her friend that they go and buy some shoes from the outlet centre nearby. Well, he was very good, and even though I don’t know the woman I doubt she was doing that at school.

Lowry was distinctive and northern, simple and true. He said "You don't need brains to be a painter, just feelings." No one has ever painted Salford like he did, and the stereotypical impression that many people get of the north was probably forged by Lowry himself.

Any road, here are some non-matchstick men by the man himself.

"Young LS Lowry by LS Lowry"

"LS Lowry by LS Lowry"

"Frank Joplin"

"Man with the Red Eyes"




Comments

Popular Posts