Dolphin Stuff

On Facebook I'm a friend of a page named "The Cove". "The Cove" was a 2009 film raising awareness about Japan's Dolphin hunting culture and shows scenes where Dolphins are herded into a cove and then killed brutally. The film argues that Japan's treatment of the Dolphin is cruel and unnecessary.

Any road, last week they announced on their page that a new documentary will be released soon and they were asking followers of the page to suggest names for it. The suggestion with the most 'Like's' would be the title of the documentary. I don't mean to boast but I'm good at this sort of stuff. Recently a Muslim friend of mine opened an ice cream shop. When he told me he had named it 'Scoop 66' (it's a play on 'Route 66' as the shop lies about 8 miles from the M66! (And that's not the nearest motorway to the shop!!)) I openly told him that that was shit. When asked to come up with suggestions, off the top of my head, I came up with "Salam alai Cone" and the slightly offensive but rhyming "Ice Cream for the Mujahideen", and then many more afterwards. He had already bought the sign for the shop so didn't choose any of my suggestions.

The synopsis for the documentary read, "An unlikely team of activists comes together to give threatened (Ocean) species a voice to stop a mass extinction". I banged down a few suggestions and then knew I had a sure winner. In fact it was so good there wasn't any need to carry on thinking about it and so I didn't. 15 minutes later they posted another message saying, "Due to an overwhelming amount of film title suggestions (THANK YOU!) we are changing this contest a bit.... In one hour, the Oceanic Preservation Society (OPS) team will pick a few of our favourites from the over 850 responses and then you can vote on those suggestions". I thought nothing of it and then an hour later they published their favourite 5.

My suggestion wasn't there. The suggested titles were lame, absolutely crap, it was like they had been submitted by 10 year olds, and not bright ones either. "The Brink", "The Wave" & "Drowned Out" were amongst the feeble offerings. Well if that's what they want! I mean, they're so far on the safe side of the fence that they're dangerously close to the unsafe side. It's like being in war torn Syria, and in an effort to get away you travel 28,000 miles only to arrive in the same place, only on the enemies side.

Any road, last night Kerry asked, "What are all these comments you've made on "The Cove" page"? I had forgotten about the comments and refreshed myself by reading their page so I could recount some of my suggestions to her. Whilst doing so I noticed that the comment that I was convinced would win had far more 'Likes' than any other comment made. WHAT WAS GOING ON???

My theory was that someone on the committee didn't like my suggestion but the people did. I feel like a modern day Che Guevara.


"WTF? (Where's The Fish?)"


"Dolphins, Laughing!"

Comments

Popular Posts