The Little Moon

Over the years I've had conversations with various people about how the moon appears bigger when it's low on the horizon.  I don't remember when I was told that it was due to the magnification of the atmosphere but at some stage in my life I was.  So this week as a new full moon rose on a clear night I took 2 images, one in the evening when the moon was low, and then another 3 hours later when the moon was high in the sky.

"Moons"

The Moon on the left is as it's seen high in the sky and the one on the right is by the horizon.  So in actuality the high moon is noticeably larger and yes the atmosphere may magnify the appearance of the moon but it does so by reducing it.  It appears larger because we have points of reference.

Any road, who the fuck do I think I am, Brian Cox?

Comments

Popular Posts