The Quiet Zone. (or The Katie Smith Zone)

05.11.10


I left the car at work and caught the bus into Manchester on the first part of my journey to Birmingham to liaise with Kerry.  I was aware that I was cutting things fine for catching my train from Piccadilly and was more than aware that the only money I had on me was a £20 note.  Did you still need the exact change for a bus journey?  I readied myself for an argument about not being able to use debit cards on public transport.  However, when I presented him with the £20 note the big friendly bus driver simply said, "its alright mate just jump on, don't worry about the fare". Hmmm, I wasn't expecting that.  Was this a sign of a lovely journey ahead?

No it wasn't.  I was sat in a carriage displaying "Quiet Zone" signs, I don't know what that means.  The woman opposite me was on her phone constantly for 1 hour and 20 mins (the total journey time was 1 hr 50m). Katie Smith was her name, she works for Natwest bank, she's going to the Haye fight, probably wearing a red boob tube, bit like the one she wore for her birthday but different (she explained that for at least 20 mins), she's paid £75 to be on the guest list for the after show party (Guest lists have changed since I were a lad!), she doesn't have a great deal of money to go shopping with her mother tomorrow....."SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!" I quietly thought to myself, I was in the "Quiet Zone" after all!




"And guess who's coming to the after show party? Its a heavyweight. Who's going to be commentating on the night? No go on, have a guess. Go on guess... O I'll tell you what I had from Morrison's, chili chicken, just lightly grill it and it's lovely. Can I call you back my mums just calling..."


It's Lennox Lewis who is going to the after show party (I don't think he's paying £75 for tickets) and I hope he and David Haye get to meet Katie, and I hope she is one of the next people to fight either one of them.




"The Quiet Zone?"





Comments

  1. Totally with you on that one! Quiet means quiet doesn't it?

    I've experienced many 'Katie Smiths' whilst travelling to London in the QUIET! zone. Also, many DVD players with the film at full volume, (Erm, headphones??), singing, shouting and music played through a mobile!

    There's even an effin train announcement that mentions no mobiles etc in the quiet zone, please!

    Manners and common sense - Sadly soon to be a thing of the past!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts