Steve and Mac

As I was working in the conservatory a chap appeared at the back fence which was unusual. He was looking rather flustered and disturbed and was seeking my attention. I presumed he was lost but he said, “I’m sorry to bother you but I’m in a bad way”. At this point I thought he was going to say he was having a heart attack. “I’ve lost my dog, Mac, you haven’t seen him have you?”

The guy, Steve, was distraught. Apparently as they were making their way along the Crook track they were startled by a sheep and Mac simply took off with his lead attached into the ferns.

I left the meeting I was having and went up the fell with Steve. It was boiling hot and Steve and Mac had already walked about 10 miles that day. We searched for an hour but I could see that Steve was struggling a little. I suggested that we go back down, I would drive him to where his was staying in Sedbergh so he could get something to eat, drink and get refreshed, and I would put something on the Sedbergh Community Facebook page and go out again in the evening.

Quite a few people came out in support, including someone with a thermal imaging camera. I went up the fell again, firstly going up Sickers and then coming down by Crook. I bumped into Steve again that night who was with another party but alas no-one had found the dog.

The next day came and it was another scorcher and to be honest I was thinking that Mac must be no more. I could see Steve on the fell in the morning and Pete donned his walking gear to go and help. Amazingly in the next hour Mac was found and brought down to the house and Steve was absolutely thrilled to bits.



 

Comments

Popular Posts