Baugh Fell and a Corvid Trap

Darwin and I went for a little mooch somewhere new (albeit local obviously given the restrictions)  We went to Garsdale and followed the signs to Grisedale, not Grizedale! We stopped the car near some moorland and just went for a stroll. Internet guides describe this area as ‘featureless’ which is usually unappealing to me but I became fascinated in the area. All around us were what looked like little traps, god knows what for, but occasionally I thought I would see scurrying amongst the heather. These apparitions became ever more prevalent until I realised the ground was virtually moving with rodents. This explained why there were so many birds of prey knocking about, including a Barn Owl which looked lovely.

In the middle of nowhere we came across a cage which I later learned was a corvid trap. I’m not sure if it is illegal or whether it is a sanctioned thing in this nature reserve but the thought of it being there for one man’s entertainment unsettled me slightly.

I took photos of the cotton grass and this particular image made it onto the Sedbergh 2021 calendar. (They did use a low resolution image which made it look crap though!)



 

Comments

Popular Posts