Lovely Trees

Every time I look at a tree I can't help but measure it by the amount of winter nights it would keep me warm if I were to chop it down and cut it up for fire wood. I'm becoming ever more primitive the older I get, I know!

However, I do like trees and I think I have a favourite one. This one is an Oak*. You can roughly tell how old an oak is by its girth. My one isn't too old as far as oaks go. I haven't measured it but I'll measure it with Darwin as part of some home education. I estimate it to be about 1.5m wide. Circumference is Pi x Diameter and therefore that works out about 4.7m. That would make this oak about 270 years old, older than the Battle of Waterloo.

*Actually, on closer inspection it's not an Oak it's a Sycamore. God knows how you age them!

Both nature and maths are amazing aren't they? (And don't you just want to tell anyone who refers to mathematics as 'math' to fuck right off?)

Comments

Popular Posts