Nearly had a Mental Breakdown

I was on Army exercise during the late 80’s in an awful place called Sennybridge. It’s probably wrong to describe it as awful but in the same way that Oświęcim is never described as a beautiful location, particularly by old Jewish people, I can’t describe Sennybridge as beautiful. (Note: That was for literal effect, I’m not comparing my Army career with the suffering of Jews in the Holocaust!).

Anyway, I rarely saw beyond 50m in Sennybridge, I remember it always being foggy, cold and wet, and I was never there to play or have a good time. One particular time in winter we were practising digging trenches and living in them. It was -15, very wet and I had hardly slept in a week. On the last night of the exercise whilst I was on guard a man came rushing over and excitedly jumped in the trench. Whispering loudly and very excitedly he said “I’m taking orders for the chippy lads, what do you want?”. O.M.G. There was actually a God and he felt sorry for us! “Steak Pudding, Chips, Peas, Gravy and a can of Coke” I instinctively said. I didn’t even have to think about it. Others, non-Northerners, didn’t know what to do. Fish and Chips they said. Southerners don’t know owt about chippys do they? Fish and Chips is alright for the seaside but not in a trench!

The guy hurriedly made his way round all the other trenches and then disappeared. About an hour later he returned, not moving so briskly this time! “Sorry lads, the sergeant told me it was just a survey”.

I was furious! The -15 temperatures, the wet, people having mental break downs, none of that had affected me so far but this was close to breaking me. I’m sure some of us cried a little that night.

I had steak pudding, chips and curry sauce for lunch today, I’m sure I enjoy it even more after that event.


"Big Frank Smith - Sennybridge"

Comments

Popular Posts