Darwin the Leader

I took a weeks leave to coincide with half term the other week in order to spend some time with Darwin. On one of the days I suggested that we ascend one of the Howgill peaks that lie directly behind our house. After initially complaining about it he chose Crook, a 450m peak that is also the name of his house class at school.

I set the rules before we set off. There was no rush, we would have plenty of stops along the way to take in the beautiful scenery, we would have lots of fun and if at anytime he wanted to turn back we would. I'm not as fit as I used to be and was completely indifferent about reaching the summit.

However, every time we stopped and had a little rest, usually on his request to do so, he would be the one to stand up first and say to me "Right, let's crack on". Here he was spurring me on without any need to do so, effortlessly without any incentive. And he insisted on reaching the top together at the same time.

I'm currently doing my Masters in Management and Leadership and it's easy during this course to get lost in finding the true meaning of leadership, but last week I experienced it in all its rawness, a young boy standing up before everyone else, setting off in a direction and encouraging everyone else to 'crack on'. He makes me so proud.

"The Summit of Crook"


Comments

Popular Posts