"I'm Kevin Keegan" (but without the prickish outburst)

When I played football as a youngster it all started off with an argument of who you were ‘going to be’. “I’m Kevin Keegan” someone would shout, obviously totally oblivious to his prickish ‘I would love it’ tants some 30 years later. “I’m Kenny Dalglish”, “I’m Trevor Francis”, “I’m Larry Grayson”. Obviously Gavin grew up not liking football and preferred ‘Strictly’. And then once all that was sorted you’d stick the jumpers down, and run round like crazy and everyone wanted to score ‘the goal’. No one was particularly good in my circle of friends, but we were enthusiastic.

The other weekend I went to watch Josh play at Morecambe stadium. It was a cup final, all the kids had proper kit, including studded boots (we had school shoes!) and it was a proper stadium! Most surprising was the standard of football, it was really good, and Josh was the star player and the kids played like a team. I was very surprised.

In the end Josh’s team lost but everyone got ace trophies and there weren’t any tears. Smashin.




Comments

Popular Posts