Went Up a Hill

13th November 2016

It’s funny how facts change over time isn’t it? Stephen Fry said on QI “9% of the facts you knew 10 years ago are probably incorrect today”, or something like that. It probably doesn’t matter because that fact is wrong now anyway!

When I was a lad a mountain in England was defined as any peak 1000ft above sea level. It’s now 2000ft! The main topic of this post was going to be about Darwin climbing his first mountain, but now I’ve realised he hasn’t climbed a mountain, he’s just been up a hill.

I was 7 when I climbed my first mountain, it was Ingleborough. I can see it from my front door now. I remember it looking absolutely massive and it was the first time I saw a cow doing a squirty poo. I think part of my dad’s reasoning for going to the Ingleborough area was so he could pinch some stones off the dry stone walls for his rockery. They have lovely limestone rocks there and I would recommend it to any thief who is thinking of building a rockery. (Do people still have rockery’s or is that old fashioned now?)

Any road, Kerry, Darwin and I set off into the Howgills and decided to climb Knott, one of the smaller peaks. Sure we had some moaning from Darwin but not as much as I expected and I was extremely proud of him. He is only 3 after all.




Comments

Popular Posts