Grasmere and My Old Friend

It was Bunsters birthday this weekend and once again her Mother had graciously agreed to look after Darwin whilst we took off some where. This time we went to Grasmere.

I don’t think I’ve ever been to Grasmere and I consider myself to know the Lakes well, obviously I don’t know it that well do I? We bought the obligatory ginger bread and I wandered (lonely as a cloud : )) to William Wordsworth's grave reciting the works of Adrian Henri. That’s seems a little odd but Henri was a far more beautiful poet than Wordsworth in my opinion, but there was a Wordsworth theme:

“I wandered lonely as
THE NEW, FAST DAFFODIL
INDENT-FULLY AUTOMATIC
that floats on high o'er vales and hills
The Daffodil is generously dimensioned to accommodate four adult passengers
10,000 saw I at a glance
Nodding their new anatomically shaped heads in sprightly dance
Beside the lake beneath the trees
INDENT-in three bright modern colours
red, blue and pigskin
The Daffodil de luxe is equipped with a host of useful accessories
including windscreen wiper and washer with joint control
A Daffodil doubles the enjoyment of touring at home or abroad”

I had booked us both in for a massage that evening at the Wordsworth Hotel & Spa, but whilst we were travelling up they called to say that the masseuse had called in sick and they could no longer accommodate us. That upset me a little. What do they do when that masseuse goes on holiday? Does that render them inoperable? I bet this wouldn’t have happened at the Henri Hotel & Spa!

So the following day I hired a Landrover Defender instead and we took off into the hills off-roading. I love Landrovers, ever since my Army days, and just sitting in one was like meeting an old friend. Obviously I’ve been softened up a bit in recent times, what with power steering and comfortable seats and what not, but you can’t beat a Landrover.

Bunster drove the first bit of the course whilst I navigated. She loves to drive, and she drove it well, but sometimes a Landrover can be like a temperamental stallion in certain conditions and it requires someone to jump on it’s back, grab it by the ears and ride it like a bastard, which I had to do on a couple of occasions.

After a while we swapped roles. Naturally within 20 minutes we were lost and completely off track but at the premature end we both agreed that we had a jolly good time.

I can’t remember ever having an ‘Amuse Bouche’ but that evening I enjoyed my second one of the weekend. Typical, you don’t see one for 45 years and then 2 come along at the same time! We dined at the Holbeck Ghyll restaurant and quite lovely it was too. My only complaint about both restaurants we ate at that weekend is both of them tried to shoehorn some goats cheese into the meal. My body doesn’t allow goats cheese to reside in it for more than 2 hours, not matter how small a quantity. After that time it evicts it, and often with force!




Comments

Popular Posts