Eggardon Kite Festival

21.09.14

We drove up Eggardon Hill today to visit the Kite Festival, what a delightful place. The skies were full of kites, from large dragons to tiny bears and they were being flown by the most professional and serious kite fliers you will ever meet and 18 month old Piggies.

We bought Piggy a little kite thinking he might look at it and be slightly amused, but to our amazement he grabbed it and flew it like he knew what he was doing. I felt so proud.

One woman was flying a set of kites very acrobatically using a multiple of strings (that’s probably not the word to describe the string bit between the flier and the kite itself! No, it looks like ‘string’ is fine, that and ‘line’ or ‘braid’) so I said, “you certainly know how to fly a kite”. She replied with a very stern face and voice, “Well I should do, I’ve being flying for 2 years now, I’m a professional”. I did feel like cutting her lines with my pocket Leatherman but I resisted the urge.

There is a kite club and prior to this experience I would have laughed at that. Now I can understand the fascination with it.



"Piggy's Bear Kite"

Comments

Popular Posts