Thatcher the Snatcher?

So Margaret Thatcher died this week much to the joy of many people.  I've never really been political and at the age of nearly 43 I've never voted, primarily because I think I would be more inclined to vote for the person rather than the party, and to be quite frank, the people who are currently in charge of the big parties seem to me to be a bunch of out of touch pricks.

I remember 4th May 1979, the day that Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister, I was helping my step sister deliver the "Leyland Citizen" newspaper.  I inherited the paper round a year later at the age of 10 and had to deliver 500 newspapers every Thursday up until I was 15, and my step sister didn't help me once!

Shortly after this I remember going to a big strike meeting at Leyland Trucks with my dad.  He tried to explain what was going on, I think they were trying to shorten their afternoon coffee break by 5 minutes, but the strike seemed to last months!  In them days Leyland Motors, particularly the Car manufacturers, would go on strike for anything, and their cars were shit! 

The miners went on strike a few years later much to the medias delight.  The NUM, without balloting the workforce, called a general strike that lasted over a year and Thatcher to this day gets all the blame.  I haven't known anyone use coal in my life and apparently it was cheaper to import it than it was to mine it here.  Hadn't the pits turned into a 'grangenous limb' by this time any way?

During one of the strikes lasting several months, the money I had accrued from my paper round in my new Halifax savings account was used to pay the electricity and gas bill (not the coal bill!).  I was told at the time that is was Thatchers fault, it wasn't, it was the unions fault.

Any road, this is all sounding a bit political init and I'm sounding a bit right wing, I'm not I'll have you know.  It was one of Mrs. Thatcher's biggest personal regrets that she did not see a moral purpose instilled in the rich when she lowered taxes, she expected them to be kinder and this shows some kind of naivity that I didn't know existed in her.  The modern day conservatives don't have an excuse, recently they lowered the tax for anyone earning more than £150,000 a year, why?

I'm not 'bigging up' what she did and nor am I putting her down, but in my opinion she was a very strong leader with conviction and I like that.  I reckon she would have eaten any of the current modern day leaders for breakfast.

I think I will vote next time and I definitely won't vote for any of the big parties.  I was thinking of voting for the Black Panthers but I've been told they don't exist any more, so I'll probably just draw a cock on the ballot slip.

p.s. I'll aim to keep the blog strictly photographic from now on, I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to politics.

"The Iron Lady"

"Practising joining the Black Panthers in the bathroom this morning"

Comments

Popular Posts