Rossendale Topographics

On the week where it was announced that Britain had managed to avoid a triple dip recession I got an afternoon to photograph stuff.  I chose to photograph Rossendale to find signs of a recovering economy.

I like Rossendale and I love living here but in a lot of places it looks quite sad.  Signs of an economic revival seem a long way away.  There are loads of shops just sat there doing nothing, and it looks like they've been sat doing nothing since the 70's or summat.  I'm not too sure if it's the fault of the large supermarkets or possibly the convenience and good value of the internet, but some shops are doing well.  Estate Agents, Pound Shops and Fast Food joints all seem to be thriving.

There are exceptions, Ramsbottom is doing well and Rawtenstall aint too bad, but fuck me, when you go to Bacup, Haslingden and Stacksteads things are looking dire.

I remain positive though.  It's still a lovely place to live, being convenient enough for Manchester yet just far enough away.

"The Old Woolworth - Rawtenstall"

"Super Pound Store - Haslingden"

"Cafe - Haslingden"

"Exhaust Centre - Cloughfold"

"Steel Works - Rawtenstall"

"Bingo Hall - Bacup"

"Rossendale Plumbing - Waterfoot"

Comments

Popular Posts