Oulton Park

08.10.11

I went to Oulton Park today to watch motorbike racing.  I've never been to a motor sports event, and even though the main incentive for going was to take photos I quite enjoyed it.  I can really understand the attraction to the speed, the noise and the danger, although I wouldn't dare do it myself, it's far too fast, noisy and dangerous!

I was with a chap named Brian Schofield.  I've worked with Brian for a number of years now but don't really know a great deal about him.  On the way back we were talking about other things he gets up to in his spare time and he told me he likes to drum.  "Have you ever played in a band?" I asked.  "Yeah I've played in a few bands, I've actually got a CD here.  It's a Peel session from the early eighties".  "WHAT?" I asked.  A Peel session, Jesus Christ!  The Peel sessions were legendary seeing the likes of Nirvana, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, Joy Division and many, many others, over 2000 different artists actually.  It turns out Brian was the original drummer from the Chameleons.

We went on to talk about the great Peel sessions from the early eighties and I mentioned one of my favourite bands The Wedding Present.  A few bands did repeat Peel sessions and The Wedding Present were a favourite of John Peel, they ended up doing 16 Peel sessions.  Brian said, "O yeah, David Gedge and Peter Solowka, I was in a band with them before the Wedding Present.  "FUCK .... OFF!" I uttered.  David Gedge's first proper band was called Mitosis and Brian was the drummer, no way!  This week he brought a tape in of an early Gedge recording.  I was expecting it to be a bit rubbish but it's fantastic.

Any road, here's a few pics from the day.

"A Rider"

"A Wheelie"

"A Corner"

Comments

Popular Posts