The New IPhone

Tomorrow is Kerrys birthday and she needs a new mobile phone so I thought it would be a lovely idea to get her the new IPhone, particularly as it was released this weekend too.

So on Friday morning I got up early and drove to the centre of Manchester to queue up at the Apple store.  When I got there the queue was already making it's way out of the store and heading it's way down the Arndale centre.  Staff were dishing out coffee to the queue, and quite rightly so I thought, at £600 a phone I was expecting a luxury breakfast cooked by Jamie Oliver himself.  I reluctantly tried to join the end of the queue.

"Are you here for the new IPhone?", a member of the Apple staff asked me.  I nodded before she went on to say, "the queue actually starts downstairs".  As I made my way down the escalators I could see the queue being held back by security guards and Apple staff.  I followed the queue out of the Arndale centre and down to the Printworks where it currently ended.

I thought I would join the end of the queue to get an idea of how fast the queue was moving.  Whilst I was estimating the speed of the queue Apple staff were telling people in front of me that stock was getting very low and it would be highly unlikely that they would get the opportunity to buy the phone in the store.

I know that English people know how to queue.  We understand the rules and we queue very well.  But I then made a conscious decision not to queue, I was going to push in deviously.  I got my camera out and started to take photos of the queue and I made my way to the bottom of the escalator.  I felt like Neo from the Matrix, I had broken the mould, I was a maverick.

At the bottom of the escalators Apple staff asked me if I was taking photos for the newspaper, "Yes", I lied, "I work for the Manchester Evening News".  A maverick and a liar, I was buzzing!

As the security guards let a bunch of people go up the escalators I followed them up, still snapping away.  They started to join the upstairs queue and this was my opportunity. Thinking I had nearly got away with it I was then tackled by another Apple person, "Can I see your ticket please?", they asked.  Shit, shit, shit, the damn English, ticket issuance where queues separate!!! "O I'm not in this queue", I said, "you wouldn't find me standing in a line this long".  I took her picture and went on my way.

I've ordered the phone off the internet.

"IQueue"

Comments

Popular Posts