London

Towards the end of day zero of the storm I did manage to get the car to the main road and I dumped it on the verge. This meant on the morning of our trip to London we had to make a half mile walk to the car in a blizzard. By the time we got to the car we thought Darwin had early onset frost bite and if it wasn’t for the thought of having to make the walk again back to the house I think I might have called the journey off there and then.

As it happens the main roads had been cleared and we took a slow drive to the train station. It’s amazing to think that in just over 2½ hours we were in the centre of London from Cumbria. We dropped our bags and headed straight out to the science museum.

The science museum is great, lots of stuff to see and interact with. Stephenson’s Rocket, Babbage’s difference engine and Tesla’s wireless electricity. The next day we went to the Natural History Museum and saw life size models of a blue whale and a T Rex, examples of all kinds of geological wonders and a slither of the giant sequoia tree. What Darwin was more interested in doing was re-creating the scene between Darth Maul and Obi Wan.

I have nightmares about losing Darwin, it’s probably my worst fear, and in this busy environment the likelihood of losing him seemed to grow considerably. He’s one of those pricks that runs off and hides too, and he doesn’t listen to a word we say. We bumped into David Mitchell & Victoria Coren whilst we were there but I thought if David Mitchell is even 1% as stressed as I am the very last thing he’ll want is to be bothered by some oik whilst having to keep an eye on his kid. I wanted to show them the picture I had drawn of them together a few years ago, I very much doubt it would have been appreciated as much as I had wanted it to.

Victoria Coren & David Mitchell

Soon I’m sure I’ll forget about paying £62 for breakfast and £19 for 3 ice creams, and all the stress brought on by Darwin, and I’ll simply remember only timeless memories.








Comments

Popular Posts