YSP

We took a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park today, and I had gone ‘bar tat’ (That’s Yorkshire for ‘without a hat’, and when I say ‘without a hat’ I mean without a coat!) but it didn’t matter. We mooched about and Piggy showed a mild liking to Barbara Hepworth’s Family of Man sculptures, and consequently learned the word ‘sculpture’.

carried Piggy around on my shoulders in the Henry Moore exhibition and when I asked him what each sculpture was he said “Turtle”, and he said this for every display piece. And as far as I’m concerned I couldn’t deny his analysis, they could all have been turtles, it may have been the Henry Moores ‘Family of Turtles’ exhibition. I think Piggy began to get bored 5 minutes into the walk around because he began to shout, “Turtle, Turtle, Turtle” with ever increasing volume. I’m pretty sure most people were thinking that anyway! 

I find most sculpture is shit anyway, particularly contemporary sculpture. And this isn’t any slant on YSP, it’s a lovely place and a place that you must visit, but Jesus! At least when a contemporary painter creates shit he’s only using up some paint and a piece of canvas, some of Moore’s works are tons of metal. No wonder his works get nicked, and it’s not so thieves can re-sell em or bang em in their gardens, they go straight down the scrap yard and sold for a few hundred quid I bet. 

Piggy’s favourite pile of shit was a sculpture by Sol LeWitt. I say sculpture, it’s not a sculpture it’s a frickin wall, and a badly built one at that! But, despite the signs saying otherwise, we climbed across it a couple of times and it invoked more fun that any other sculpture in the park. 

A lovely day was had by all.


"On the Foot of a Massive Hare"


"Piggy with a Big Disc Sculpture"





"That Big Mast in Yorkshire"

Comments

Popular Posts