Haworth Steampunks

Piggy and Kerry had gone away for the weekend to Lincoln leaving me free to go mental, proper mental!  When I say mental, I don’t mean Keith Moon mental, I mean like having a lie in until 09:00hrs, eating takeaways and drinking slightly more whisky than I would on a normal night.

After getting some new tyres fitted in the morning I drove to Haworth and I was surprised to find that Haworth is twinned with Machu Picchu.  I have always wondered about this ‘twinning’ malarkey and had often surmised that twinned towns must have similar features or at least some kind of resemblance to each other.  I think this is the first time I’ve been to a pair of twinned towns and can quite categorically state that there is no resemblance between the 2 places whatsoever.

I like West Yorkshire, it’s far better maintained that East Lancashire.  Going from Bacup to Hebden Bridge is like going from Kabul to Atlantis.  Everything appears a lot cleaner and better built and even tourists go there.  What kind of crazy tourist in their right minds would like to visit Bacup?  Very often though the view from Yorkshire to Lancashire is much better due to the natural position of the sun, things can sometimes look dark and threatening looking from W. Yorks to east, so it's quite deceiving.

Haworth had been invaded by Steampunk this weekend and what a remarkable place it looked.  Many people were dressed very extravagantly in period Victorian clothing and shiny brass attachments, one fat bloke was dressed in jeans and a black Iron Maiden t shirt wearing a pith helmet, he was the guy making no effort at all.


The streets were full of photographers taking exactly the same images, it upset me slightly, but I enjoyed the day.  Everyone’s a photographer nowadays aren’t they?

"Looking to Lancashire from Yorkshire"






Comments

Popular Posts