Barefoot but 60p Richer

This Christmas the siblings decided to put a spending cap on presents. The limit was £15 per person.

"Jesus, what can you get for £15 nowadays?" was my first reaction but I soon realised that you can get quite a lot if you put your mind to it. Kerry is an avid fan of eBay and sometimes £15 will go a long way. If one was to use the services of 'Freecycle' then your options are limitless. Yesterday on the radio I heard stories about people getting canoes, TV's and cameras on Freecycle, someone was even given a full sized kit car.

I decided to buy new presents and was quite pleased with my choices. They included a trebuchet in kit form, a selection of 6 egg cups, a penguin outfit (albeit too small for the recipient!) and many other things. For Sarah I got 2 lenses for her iPhone AND a mini bluetooth keyboard, all for less than £15! Can you believe it? However, that isn't the main topic of this post. I haven't yet spoken about what I received from her.

During the October of 2011 I posted an article about 'Emma the Winetaster'. I ended the post by mentioning the fantastic bottle of wine I was given by Emma. In turn Sarah contacted Emma and got me the same bottle of wine for Christmas that year. I was touched! Last October I posted an article entitled 'Sneaky shoes for Ninja's' where I declared my love for Jimmy Bee shoes.

This year Sarah presented me with 2 Christmas gifts reiterating that she had stuck to the agreed £15 limit. I opened the first present which was a book titled "Photobooth: The Art of the Automatic Portrait". I love books about photography, particularly unusual approaches to taking portraits. I know it seems crass to do so, but in order to explain how resourceful she has been I did look up the price of the book. In the Amazon sale it retails at £14.40 (RRP £22.50!!) and the book does look in very good condition. The second present was considerably larger than the first, in fact it was roughly about shoe box sized. What present could she possibly have got me that cost 60p or less that was this size???? Unbelievably, a pair of Jimmy Bee shoes!

Her husband, Chris, looked embarrassed. I didn't ask. Sure the shoes did show minor signs of use but overall they looked like they were in a reasonable condition. You couldn't get away with selling them on eBay as 'New', but I don't think they had be worn for more than a week or so (and they don't smell of piss!). I did wear them for work and my feet do feel slightly tortured, but as yet I don't think I've caught any diseases from them. I think they need breaking in a bit.

"Angry Homeless Man"

Comments

Popular Posts