Tate Liverpool and Magritte

29.08.11

Went to Tate Liverpool today to check out the Magritte exhibition.  I don't always account for the necessary amount of understanding required to appreciate art or the originality at the time the art was created, I more so judge art from a very binary perspective, do I like it or not?  I don't particularly like Magritte using my binary analysis but I can appreciate it a little bit.  For me he wasn't surreal enough, he wasn't Salvador Dali, and I know he wasn't trying to be but it was hard for me to see beyond this.  I can appreciate his use of the banal in his work and his originality.  Whatever my irrelevant thoughts maybe he did seem to enjoy himself and I liked that.

I did however like his illustrations for George Bataille, a group of sketches tucked away in a darkened room of such subjects like a "lady part and a Gentleman", "A lady caressing the shaft of a penis" and my personal favourite, "a priest with a hardon".

On a separate note, on the way back from Liverpool I had a "Rush" album in the car, a group I haven't really given the time of day to, so I thought I'd give them a listen.  A few songs into the album Kerry said rather angrily, "Is this a man or woman singing?", "A man", I replied.  "Well he should decide on which he wants to be, a man or a woman, he sounds fucking ridiculous", she commented.  I wondered whether music cynicism had jumped an era, or does it work in reverse too?

"Midget Kerry"

Magrittes, "Woman Kissing a Cock", "A Bloke & a Fanny" (Not Magrittes true titles!)

"Self Portrait"

"The Tate Liverpool"

Comments

Popular Posts