2nd Hand Shops and Gollywogs

12.12.10

Today Kerry and I went into Ramsbottom, mainly because she wanted to do a little shopping in the second hand shops.  To be honest I don't like going in them.  It's OK for women, more women recycle than men so there are  plenty of clothes in there for them, and they don't mind wearing second-hand clothes, it's built into them, they grow up trotting about in their mothers high heel shoes and they like dressing up.  I don't think I know 1 man who has taken a bag full of old clothes to a second-hand shop.  And it makes me feel like a bit of a "Pes"!  I spent most of the time stood outside taking photos.

In one of the windows I spotted a Gollywog and then instantly embarrassed myself for calling it that.  It's a Gollytoy now.  A shop in Manchester had 2 removed for causing offence in 2007.  When I was a lad we didn't see it as a racist thing, Robinson marmalade had one as its symbol.  For me a far more racist thing, even at the time, was the money box depicting a black man that encouraged children to place money in the hand of the black man and then twist its ear to deposit the money.  They sell for £25 now in antique shops.


"Tasteful Things in the Shop"

"Golly Toy"
"The Racist Money Box"

"Ramsbottom Shoppers"

Comments

Popular Posts