Throwing Arrows

When we were kids we used to make throwing arrows, long pieces of bamboo with playing cards for flights, and obviously being red blooded boys we would sharp the points just in case we had to kill wild boars or a zombies. Then we would put a notch in the bamboo near the flights, tie a knot in a string and use it to propel the arrows what seemed like miles.

I've just looked it up on the internet! Another name for the throwing arrow is a Yorkshire Arrow and the record distance thrown is 372yds (of cause it's measured in Yards, it's Yorkshire isn't it?), that's 340m in real money!

My friend Macky and I would always compete on the school fields and he would always throw it further, buts that because he was a year older, I bet I could beat him now! Anyway, one day he got his arrow stuck in his garden hedge from the school field side and to get it out he decided to try and throw a stone at it. He managed to ruin the day by throwing the stone through the hedge and through the bathroom window, the unopened window whilst his massive ex-policeman dad was in the bath, covering him in broken glass. That put an end to the day.

So when the twins came over we made some throwing arrows. The boys were all rubbish at throwing them but I was amazing, but I didn't manage 340m! I got more than 100m's though!






Comments

Popular Posts