Rounding Cows Up

I was in the doctors talking to an old Sedbergh farmer. He asked me where I lived and then proceeded to tell me a story about a farm near me.

He told me about a farmer who had a really clever dog. During the day the farmer kept his cows in a field a few hundred metres along the road to graze, and then in the evening he would bring the cows back for milking. In the morning he would take the cows back to the field and so on. Each time he would be assisted by the dog.

The road to the field is a relatively busy A Road, particularly in the morning and in the evening and consequently there were delays until the cows got to their destinations.

The dog got very adept at the task until the police had to get involved. They called in on the farmer one night and instructed him that when the cows are being rounded up and taken on the journey along the road it is essential that they have a human with them! The farmer had simply been instructing the dog to go and get the cows and it would successfully do it, without the aid of a person!

Whilst I was stuck behind the cows on the way home I took some images.






Comments

Popular Posts