What the Fuck is a Pig Nut?

Paulette & Shaun came to visit a few months ago and Shaun mentioned that we had loads of Pig Nuts in the wood. I hadn't a clue what Pig Nuts were but the more a mentioned them to people everyone but me appeared to know what they were. I walk past a pig nut meadow on my walks and after taking a photo of it there was a long and lengthy conversation on Facebook about it. Further research took me to the following passage about them:

"The root being dried and beaten into powder, and the powder being made into an electuary, is a singular remedy for spitting and pissing of blood, as the former chestnut was for coughs."- Nicholas Culpeper's Complete Herbal

Nicholas Culpeper was a 17th century botanist and herbalist. "His influence is demonstrated by the continued popularity of his remedies among New Age and alternative holistic medicine practitioners" and that's great but maybe that's where all that bollocks should have been left shouldn't it?

Anyway PiggyNutty and me continue to potter and it's nice. The lack of aeroplanes is very noticeable.


On the side of Crook




Comments

Popular Posts