Caravaggio, Lievens, Rembrandt Shits Em

Sure there are a shit load of painters knocking about, and even more that have been and gone, but for me as I've mentioned a few times Rembrandt was the man. Why? Well it's a mixture of a number of things. Firstly and foremost, I'm still quite a philistine when it comes to art. I know quite a few of the famous ones and probably more than your average working class Joe, but there are a shitload that I don't know. I like portraits and I like dark portraits but ultimately I think it was his use of light that tops it for me. And I know a lot of readers are now shouting at their screens, "What about Caravaggio?", "What about Jan Lievens?" (and don't get me wrong, Lievens was fuckin pretty shit hot!), but Hehhhh, they just don't do it for me like Rembrandt does.

I can't understand why he wasn't a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?

Here's a selection of self portraits by the man himself.

"Portrait with Gorget"

"Self Portrait in Oriental Attire"

"Portrait with Beret and 2 Gold Chains"

"Self Portrait with 2 Circles"

Comments

Popular Posts