Furl-Owl

When I left the army I was unemployed for a few months. I don’t get bored and there was always plenty to entertain me. At that time I was trying to become able enough to play in a band so I spent my days practicing and imagining what the future would be like as an internationally acclaimed songwriter and pop star. That was the longest period in my life where I didn’t have a job since the age of 10.

However, during this pandemic I have been furloughed for 3 weeks. Holy shit! Naturally there’s always that fear of ‘Am I surplus to requirements?’, ‘OMG I’m disposable’ or ‘What do you mean, you can function without me???’ but once I had got over that here I was with 3 weeks paid leave. Ho-Lee-Shit!

It was late spring now, the days were long, the paddling pool had come out and the country was even talking about easing lockdown restrictions, so what a time to be furloughed. Darwin and I would go for mooches about the nearby countryside and wherever possible if I could apply some education outdoors then that would be preferable to doing all that home-schooling bullshit indoors. On one walk in the field Kerry found a baby owl. I rarely come across owls in the wild. Me and Mau Mau found one once but other than a few sightings here and there I’ve rarely seen them in the wild, that’s why I was fascinated. I re-bought a zoom lens after the owl experience. It was a Tawny, and since that owl sighting I’ve found they’re all over the fucking place. Great!





 

Comments

Popular Posts