Leyland and Jade

I went to Leyland today to see Jade.

I’m somewhat Cumbrianised now and don’t like going south of Lancaster, it’s noisy, dirty and way too populated. But I made an exception and before going to see Jade I parked in Leyland town centre and had a walk through the town. For lunch I bobbed into the Chicken Barbeque, an establishment that has been there for as long as I can remember, at least 43 years. Saying that, I think this is the first time I’ve ever been in it.

I find it a funny place now, Leyland that is, not the Chicken Barbecue. You know when someone dies in a community and it brings everyone together, I get the sense that people above a certain age are a bit like this in Leyland after the death of Leyland Motors. They’re happy but in a slightly miserable way. As I walked past Leyland Chop Suey house, another timeless establishment, I found yet another shop that I remember vividly. As I completed my paper round on Dorothy Ave as a young teenager I would always gaze admiringly into the window of Leyland Electra Centre at all the electrical treasures like packs of resistors and small alarm clocks, watches and kettles. ‘How the hell are they still surviving in this day and age?’ I thought to myself. And then I spotted a wireless doorbell at a great price and went in to buy it. The whole purchasing experience was great. The guy took it out of the packaging, tested it in front of me, offered me alternatives, it was great. There’s a lot to be said for shops on the high street.

And then I went to see Jade. I had been told by a mutual friend that he hadn’t been feeling himself and had been acting unusual. Granted, I hadn’t seen him in a while but that sounded just like Jade anyway. He is unusual and that’s why people like him so much but I’m sure that if he were a kid in modern society he would be diagnosed with something.

I loved spending a couple of hours with him. We chatted and played instruments and listened to music, and he showed me some of the paintings he had done. He gave me a painting of 2 flying saucers casting light over the ground which I’m quite pleased to own. The wife thinks it’s a pair of tits and won’t allow me to hang it in the living room. I concluded that there isn’t anything wrong with him and it was an absolute delight seeing him again.



The Chicken Barbeque


Big Window Gig Poster 1992

Comments

Popular Posts