Telescope

The night skies in Sedbergh are something to behold. On a moonless night the Milky Way is clearly visible and the amount of stars are amazing. This has a close relationship to my passion for atheism. According to various sources there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the observable universe, don’t know if that’s an exact amount or if it’s been rounded up, but that’s a lot! Now, if God made everything on this earth by design, including the reproductive methods of parasitoid wasps (of which there are many different species) and then he did the same thing everywhere else in the universe, then he indeed is great. There are about 8.7 million species of animal, another million species of plants and stuff, let’s ignore bacteria and fungi, but that times by the number above is proper mental (taking into account that there are a similar no. of planets in Goldilocks zones!). And so an atheist like myself should be excused for thinking that the existence of a God is more than a little mad.

What is impressive however is that all that we can see and experience hasn’t been done by design, it’s one miraculous accident and that is beautiful.

I’ve bought a telescope. I’ve had a look at the moon which is massive and mentally bright, natch!, but I’m not that arsed about seeing that. I want to see the planets and the galaxies. The telescope has a ‘GoTo’ thingy on it but you have to line it up with other stars. Have you ever tried to read a star map? Jesus Christ! If a star isn’t within the Plough or Orion I’m goosed. (I’ve just looked up Beetleguise & Rigel, 2 of the options to line the scope up with, and they’re both in Orion!!!) Anyway, star maps are pretty ridiculous, and all this constellation nonsense is pretty crap too, there must be a better way of looking at the stars. “Use your mobile phone”, I hear some of you say, well possibly! But now I’ve got to learn how to use that app effectively, then learn how to program the GoTo thingy, then work out the focusing thingy and possibly buy a mountable sensor to look at the stars for me!

Maybe that’s highlighting an issue with young folk nowadays (classing myself as young folk!!!) we expect everything ready made for us don’t we? I will however persevere and succeed.

I’m expecting to see images like the ones below through the telescope. I’ve borrowed these from the internet. I am expecting to be let down.



Comments

Popular Posts