James Bond is not a Sapper

Kerry and I had one of those very rare occasions where we got time together without the boy. It isn’t the boy that we feel we need time away from, but as any parent knows when you’re with the kids you’re kind of expected to look out for them aren’t you? And hence you’re always en garde. (Can that be used in a non-fencing way? Maybe I should have said ‘on guard’ like English people do?)

Any road, it isn’t the location that’s important for us it’s simply the time away, and in Kerry’s case it’s important that she gets a massage too. So we booked into the Daffodil in Grasmere for 2 nights. Prosecco and chocolates were waiting for us. (What’s all this with Prosecco anyway? It’s just shit Champagne!)

The Daffodil has quite a lovely display of art work. There is some dross too mind, like cartoons in picture frames, that’s annoying! But in the dining area there are some lovely photographic portraits from the National Portrait Gallery. The beautiful Norman Wisdom by Godfrey Argent watched as I ate steak.

The next morning whilst Kerry was having her arse bleached or something I ended up in Wordsworth’s house. I say Wordsworth’s house but that could actually be a 1000 different places in the lakes. It’s a good job William Wordsworth & Beatrix Potter lived at different times because I doubt there would be anywhere at all to live if those 2 f*ckers were about given the amount of tourist attractions relating to them in Cumbria! Anyway, where was I? O Yes, Dove Cottage with a group of tourists being showed about the house. I liked it. There were a couple of pretentious idiots who were on about their tenth tour of the place and when I asked, “What? He was married? I thought he was gay!” they made disappointed frowns.

I bought a Barbour jacket too. When we were in the shop the young assistant was getting me to try on various models of Barbour Jackets. “This one is called the ‘Sapper’”. My eyes lit up. “O, I used to be a Sapper” I said. Kerry often accuses me of being an easy target for Sales campaigns. “Yes, and also it’s the one James Bond wore in the last film”. Well I was sold! Imagine my disappointment when afterwards I found out it wasn’t the James Bond version, he wore the Commando! Guess Kerry is right!

"Honister Pass"


"Wordsworth's Passport"

"Wordsworth's Kids Wallpaper"

Comments

Popular Posts