Horse Fair 2018

I went to the fair again this year, the horse fair that is. I like it. I think the most negative thing I can truly say about the travelling community is that they don’t like a bin. The fair, associated grounds and town does become a ‘sh*t tip’ with people wantonly discarding litter wherever they feel like it. But saying that, there is a large managed clean up afterwards (at no cost to the ratepayer!) which leaves the town spic and span in a matter of days.

I was sat with an argumentative colleague one lunchtime and I was telling him that I had been to the fair over the weekend. ‘AND YOU SUPPORT THAT KIND OF THING DO YOU?” he asked quite angrily (I think it’s a lunar thing). I explained that I didn’t think I was supporting it I simply went along as a voyeur/photographer. Without a camera I don’t think I would go but I would be more inclined to support the fair than campaign to have it stopped.

The river was low so I had a little trip down. I did get an offer to take one of the horses for a ride and the stupid part of me was severely tempted. There was adventure to be had AND there was a big crowd but the other guy informed me that I would have to leave all my camera stuff un-attended, I would definitely fall off the horse into the water and I would have to drive home naked.

Once again I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I wonder if that's the Irish roots (which may or may not be there) coming out in me? If I go next year I must make more of an effort to stop folk and take portraits of them.









Comments

Popular Posts